[RC] rude riders - katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rob said:

I just thought that if I moved to the far right
well before their arrival and they had time to choose
the 6 ft. of open sand trail on my left, or the thick
brush and Oak trees on my right, that they would
choose the open left side.

If they were already on the right side of the trail (although if there is
six feet of open trail on your left after you have moved over, "trail" is
something of a misnomer) when you moved over to the right, you just cut
them off.  Of course, since they didn't let you know that they were on your
right, they got what they deserved...although if they were coming up fast
enough (since they shouldn't have to slow down either) and consequently
they didn't have the time to choose after you had cut them off, the fact
that they got what they deserved didn't stop you from getting rear-ended. :)

The reason for announcing my intentions when passing is so that riders who
hear me coming and get over to let me pass, don't inadvertently cut me off
by doing so.  The reason it is polite for me to announce my intentions is
that I don't risk putting the person the person I am passing in the
uncomfortable position of inadvertently having cut me off.

The politeness associated with announcement of intentions becomes even more
relevant when there is not eight or nine feet of "trail" in which to
maneuver (which is how much there would have to be for there to be six feet
of open trail after somebody has moved to the right).

Very few of the trails that _I_ ride on are 9 feet wide sandy trails with
thick brush and oak trees along the side of them, but I will admit that the
whole safe/polite what to pass thing becomes much easier when the trails do
meet this description.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

http://mail2web.com/ .