Re: [RC] Rude riders--slowing down for hikers... - Susan, Princess of Pink

At Bell Cow Boogie in Oklahoma this w/e, there were pleasure riders, hunters and hikers all over the place.  The trails were out-and-backs so EVERYONE had to really watch.  I encountered no rude people at all and had a really great time.

I had to laugh when I read Dawn's comment: "So when we meet "foot traffic," we need to make the extra effort to slow down, be nice, and make sure that we leave them with a good feeling about sharing the trail with horses."

I laugh because when Topper sees a person on the ground, he slams on the breaks and may even do a 180.  NO chance of him running down a hiker.  Dawn makes a good point; people will judge endurance by the endurance riders they meet.

I say we encountered no rude people but I'll have to change that.  There was a hunter or fisherman who parked his truck on trail with a better place off trail he could have parked.  The trail was in trees so we had to go off trail through the trees (tore my shirt) to get around his truck.  I'm sure the person didn't realize the ribbons along the WELL ESTABLISHED trail meant anything...bless his heart!

EVERY SINGLE pleasure rider, hunter and hiker moved off trail.  I was riding with Karron Goodman all day and we slowed to a walk or jog when we passed, spoke to the people and offered our thanks before moving off again.  I'd say riding in the Central Region is a GOOD THING!

Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)