RE: [RC] Woman hurt at Loomis Basin Arena? Perhaps First Aid Training should be added to our horse training? - Jim Holland

I concur.  I just finished a “First Responder” course.  I would encourage everyone who rides “remote” areas as I do and/or is involved in Search/Rescue to take this course in your area.  Most, but not all, states/counties require their First Responders to take a National First Responder Registry Test, which is “standard” type of test that tries to ensure consistency in the training.

The First Responder is trained to:

Keep victims alive until the ambulance can get there.

   Medical Emergencies

   Trauma Emergencies

Scene Control

CPR

Vehicle Extrication

Hazmat

Communications Procedures

Incident Management

Our course was 8 weeks, twice a week, 4 hour classes. Everything from “birthin’ babies” to strokes, heart attacks, shock, traffic accidents, etc.  Oxygen therapy, defibrillators, splinting, bleeding control, blood pressure, etc.

Really changed my perspective and what I carry when I ride and in my vehicle.  By the way, what you see in ER is RADICALLY different from what you see at the scene and in the ambulance.  Part of our First Responder training is to ride the ambulance.  Here in Fannin County, each ambulance has a Paramedic and an EMT.  These people are awesome at what they do!

I’m also trained in Large Animal Rescue….it ain’t no different…..if you rescue the horse without killing him with the rescue effort.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland

Three Creeks Farm

175 Hells Hollow Drive

Blue Ridge, Ga 30513

(706) 258-2830

www.threecreeksarabians.com

Callsign KI4BEN

In light of this and other related injuries, it seems to me that those who are out in the 'woods' doing what can be considered dangerous activities should be trained in basic first aid and CPR.

HOWEVER, the outcome of a horse going down way out in the woods and the survival is another subject.  Horses seem to go down faster than humans under the same type circumstances.  I am not a vet and horse first aid is different.  I do know that if humans can be kept warm long enough they will survive, assuming they are NOT bleeding heavily.  I work ER.