[RC] Woman hurt at Loomis Basin Arena? Perhaps First Aid Training should be added to our horse training? - Mary Ann Spencer

In light of this and other related injuries, it seems to me that those who are out in the 'woods' doing what can be considered dangerous activities should be trained in basic first aid and CPR.

Yes, CPR as early CPR is the best link for survival in most sudden heart attacks. Let's face it, there are more and more over 40 types out there riding.  Many push 'the envelope' taking care of their horses and neglect some of their own 'care'.

If one is off where there are no motor vehicle type roads, one should have a plan at least.  We all want to ride and keep riding.  I know of someone who told me she was laying for hours waiting for someone to come recsue her after falling off her horse and getting a broken leg.   If that happens in really cold weather, the chance of going into irreversible shock increases.  At a minimum we should all be carrying one of those space age blankets as it takes up very little room and can help a body retain heat.  Guess with 2 or 3 you could keep your horse warm too.  HOWEVER, the outcome of a horse going down way out in the woods and the survival is another subject.  Horses seem to go down faster than humans under the same type circumstances.  I am not a vet and horse first aid is different.  I do know that if humans can be kept warm long enough they will survive, assuming they are NOT bleeding heavily.  I work ER.