Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 12:08 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Rude riders

Yes, people on foot should yield to horses.  However, we endurance riders need to remember that we're a little different that the average "putter along" trail rider.  We're usually moving at a pretty good clip.  So when we meet "foot traffic," we need to make the extra effort to slow down, be nice, and make sure that we leave them with a good feeling about sharing the trail with horses.  This goes for conditioning as well as competing.  One two-day ride here in CT region is Thanksgiving weekend, and is in a popular state park.  We share the trails with mountain bikers, and many hikers, including some families with kids.  The RM makes sure to remind riders to slow down and be courteous, but it should just be common sense.  I always slow to a walk till I pass them, greet the people cheerily, and will even stop and let kids pet my horse if they want.  Goes a long way toward ensuring that the ride continues to be able to co-exist with other trail users.

Dawn in East Texas