Re: [RC] rude rider - Diane Trefethen

rob losey wrote:
 If overtaken by other faster riders. I should get out of their way. If the're
faster
the're in the race not me.   That makes sense, I don't want to impede a front
runner...
The faster rider shouldn't have to  yell "on the right" or "on the left". I
shouldn't
be in the middle of the trail when someone is coming up from behind. If a
passing
rider seem rude it may be because a slower rider failed to yield... I would
rather
get out of the way than cause a crash.

While I admire your thoughtfulness, I cannot agree with your conclusions. Passing at speed is rude and dangerous. Just because I am in an endurance race, OR an LD race, does not mean that I can chose not to follow good trail etiquette and that means when I pass another horse, I must slow down enough to pass SAFELY. When I encounter another horse on a wide trail, I must slow down, and if he hasn't moved to one side of the trail, I should call to the rider ahead which side I will pass on, and then pass at a speed that will not unduly excite the passed horse, a trot that is just a little faster than the pace of the horse being passed. This is true whether the rider being passed is another endurance/LD rider or just someone out for a nice trail ride. The passed rider has every right to expect being passed in a courteous and safe fashion. If I come upon another rider on a single track trail, I should REQUEST that I be allowed to pass when the rider in front feels it is safe.

All the above holds doubly true for people on foot. PEOPLE ON FOOT ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY OVER HORSES. Just because most of them graciously step off the trail to let us riders pass, this does NOT mean we on horses have a RIGHT to MAKE them move over. We don't!! On a wide road, I must slow to a walk or VERY slow jog, tell the hikers which side I plan to pass on, and then pass at a slow, controlled speed. On a single-track I must slow to a walk and ask permission to pass. Remember, HIKERS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY.

The only exception to the above is during the last half mile or so of the race when one might be trying to overtake and "beat" another contestant, also known as "racing to the finish".

The AERC Riders Handbook says, "One of the things that characterizes endurance riding is a high degree of sportsmanship, and that includes courtesy to other riders on the trail. Basically, the “golden rule” applies—treat others as you would like them to treat you. For example, if you are overtaken as you are riding along a narrow trail, ask if they want to pass. If they do, pull over to the side and allow them to pass safely. If you overtake another rider and plan to pass, always call ahead and let him or her know. A simple “passing on your left” works fine."

One last point. If you fail to move aside and a horse coming up from behind "crashes" into you, YOU ARE NOT THE ONE THAT CAUSED THE CRASH!!! The rules on the trail are no different than the rules on the highway. Except in cases where a driver deliberately causes the car behind to smash into him (a scam and a felony), a car that hits another vehicle from behind is the one at fault, NOT the car that has been hit.