To: <Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2005 5:59 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] rude rider

rob losey wrote:
If overtaken by other faster riders. I should get out of their way. If the're faster
the're in the race not me. That makes sense, I don't want to impede a front runner...
The faster rider shouldn't have to yell "on the right" or "on the left". I shouldn't
be in the middle of the trail when someone is coming up from behind. If a passing
rider seem rude it may be because a slower rider failed to yield... I would rather
get out of the way than cause a crash.

While I admire your thoughtfulness, I cannot agree with your conclusions. Passing at speed is rude and dangerous. Just because I am in an endurance race, OR an LD race, does not mean that I can chose not to follow good trail etiquette and that means when I pass another horse, I must slow down enough to pass SAFELY. When I encounter another horse on a wide trail, I must slow down, and if he hasn't moved to one side of the trail, I should call to the rider ahead which side I will pass on, and then pass at a speed that will not unduly excite the passed horse, a trot that is just a little faster than the pace of the horse being passed. This is true whether the rider being passed is another endurance/LD rider or just someone out for a nice trail ride. The passed rider has every right to expect being passed in a courteous and safe fashion. If I come upon another rider on a single track trail, I should REQUEST that I be allowed to pass when the rider in front feels it is safe.