Re: [RC] Another lost shoe--AARGH--advice needed despite Ti's cautions... - Mary Krauss

Dang--that's more like a dollar's-worth! Thank you Jon. I'll be handing this note to our beloved farrier when he comes out today. He's always open to ideas. Our horse's have similar tendencies I think. I'll have to ask James (farrier) the angle again--seems as though Bruiser's angle wasn't quite as dramatic, 52 degrees if I recall correctly? I'm still struggling to learn exactly what that all means. He did set the rear shoes back a bit and left a trailer. I can't remember what the shape was, but it was squared off I think. The vet suggested shortening and speeding up all four feet though--something about creating more agility all the way around. James wasn't thrilled with that suggestion because he felt he'd shortened Bruisey's toes as much as was healthy. I agreed with James after looking at how little foot was there on past the frog. Needless to say, I trust this farrier more than anyone 'cuz he keeps researching the problem but is conservative enough not to do something stupid and dramatic.

Problem is, the two times I've witnessed the de-shoeing moment, I THOUGHT I saw the front foot stepping onto the side of the other front foot. For the moment I'm thinking of using boots in order to get him back into shape, then try shoes again. I also need to quit using the saddle that doesn't quite fit. It makes him hollow which, you're right, may very well influence his gait. If I only had my new Freeform already! I could tell that it didn't hurt him any. (And the County dressage saddle seems pretty good on him now too since being re-flocked--unfortunately I had to use that saddle on the other horse last time out....)

Bruiser and I thank you for your great, though expensive, ideas.
Mary K.