Re: [RC] [RC] horse living up to names - Dyane Smith

Many, many years ago, I rode a grey arab at a boarding stable who was named Akela.  This Akela was a mortal pistol, used to regularly run away.  I once saw him run away with a professional rider who broke the curb chain trying to stop him.  Akela had apparently been a stallion for some years before being gelded, one can only imagine in an attempt to get some control.  He had a thick neck and a roached mane.

I was only sixteen and still thought myself to be immortal, so I frequently rode him bareback.  I remember one runaway in which it was so clear to me that I should not mess with him, just hope to be there to the end.  When his muscles bunched in flatout gallop, it was like sitting on glass.

Years later, I purchased a ten month old colt with the most perfect temperament...until the hormones kicked in.  Even though he was a criptochid, I paid to have him gelded at the age of 13 months.  Even though my little colt was bay (and before the hormone transformation), I named him Akela after this wonderful horse I used to ride so many years ago.  Don't you know, that bay Akela, now 13, still "talks" all the time, rears, and bites.  Is afraid of nothing.  When a bunch of horses around him were freaking out over a trio of pigs that walked by the arena, only Akela was happy to go help herd the pigs and even touch noses.  A lot of this is my own fault, but amazing how he turned out "studly" like the original (to me) Akela.

Wonder really if we inadvertently influence the horse's behavior?

Dyane