[RC] [RC] Suspensory injury - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Cindy

Your post worries me, as I don't know if your vet
can tell that it is a "mild" suspensory injury without
ultra-sounding it. I don't want to be "Chicken Licken"
(or was it Henny Penny?) about it, but it seems like
your vet is being a bit blasé about it (OK, I admit it,
I'm completely angst-ridden about suspensory injuries).

I'm currently rehabbing a second suspensory injury
(same leg, different place) on my mare. Although she
had some thickening and was reactive to palpation with
her first susp. injury, she never had any heat to speak
of. First time around, we did six months of rehab and
then I turned her out for a year, apparently sound.

Second time around she never showed any signs at all -
no swelling, no heat, just on-and-off lameness that would
come and go fleetingly minute by minute (depending on how
cheerful she was feeling). She wasn't flinchy/reactive to
pressure this time around either. The only way to tell
was by blocking the area to get her to trot sound, and
then u/sounding to confirm (she also has pedal ostitis,
which probably contributed to the problem, but luckily my
vet was savvy enough not to stop with her feet and
suspicious enough to investigate further up her leg).

She's been confined now since June (stall + pen adjacent
to her buddy - big enough to be interesting, but not big
enough to get up any real speed) and has been on a careful
rehab (again <sigh>...), gradually stressing the leg:

Month 1, ride at a walk, 15 mins, 3-4 x week
Month 2, ride at a walk, 40 mins, 3-4 x week
Month 3, ride at a walk, 40 mins, including 2 mins trotting on good, flat footing, 3-4 x week
   (if she shows signs of soreness, go back to walking)
Month 4, increase the length of time trotting by 2 mins each week
   (if she shows signs of soreness, go back to walking).
Re-ultra-sound at 60-90 days

We're due to go an have a second ultra-sound on Friday
and I have my fingers crossed.

Anyhoo - I'm not saying your gelding is necessarily where
Mouse is, but you still don't want to be complacent with
suspensories - they can take a very, very long time to
heal. As I discovered first time around with Mouse, just
giving them "a bit of time off" doesn't necessarily cut
it - they can unravel slowly until you have a catastrophic
injury on your hands. In Mouse's case, she brewed her first
injury for a year or so - finishing some rides "a little off",
but the symptoms were slight and I could explain them away
as shoeing problems, or lack of conditioning. Hah. Hind sight
is everything. Finally she did her first 50 and voila, something
concrete to work with - but only after 40+ miles. <sigh>

In Mouse's case, her physiology means that she's always going
to be likely to have tendon/ligament problems - so much for
her endurance career - but right now I'd be pretty happy
to do casual trail rides without her going lame.

Hope this helps and good luck with your horse.

My gelding has been diagnosed with a mild suspensory injury.  No heat and no thickening.  Started head bobbing today on solid ground when circled for a while on a line, but only if the injured leg was to the outside.  Was very lame yesterday after routine warm-up in a soft dressage arena.  [Had slight, but consistent head bob by the end of our dressage lesson two weeks ago, but no problems with last week's lesson.]

Vet said that the injury is too mild to require an ultrasound and taking measurements.  She showed me how to check for reaction/flinching to pressure on the ligament.  The current plan is for total vacation (but not confinement) for the next four weeks and no dressage lessons for another two weeks after that.

I'd appreciate feedback/suggestions from folks whose horses have had similar injuries.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-