Re: [RC] [RC] Suspensory injury - Chris Paus

I agree Lucy. The cost of an ultrasound is not that much. It's better than risking permanent injury. We had an initial diagnostic ultrasound done, one done about halfway through the treatment  and one again when the vet thought Zab was pretty well healed.

the important thing about rehabbing these, Cindy, is to tryto heal it without thickening of the suspensory, my vet said. That's why the stall rest and the initial bute to reduce swelling, and why you don't want to bring the horse back into work too quickly.

Zab's also was a "mild" suspensory injury as there was no tearing, but I wanted to make sure he healed as well as possible.

I guess I'd be tempted to get a second opinion, if it were my horse and that's what the vet told me.

Makes me feel soooooo lucky to have several really good equine vet clinics nearby, within a half hour's drive, and K-State in a 2 hour drive.

chris

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull <elsietee@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Cindy

Your post worries me, as I don't know if your vet
can tell that it is a "mild" suspensory injury without
ultra-sounding it. I don't want to be "Chicken Licken"
(or was it Henny Penny?) about it, but it seems like
your vet is being a bit blasé about it (OK, I admit it,
I'm completely angst-ridden about suspensory injuries).

"Slowee, slowee catchee monkey," Rudyard Kipling, from The Jungle Book

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com