[RC] EPM to Laurie - oddfarm

Laurie, I treated an SPCA rescue horse for EPM a year ago. The med was called Marquis? It was about $1000 for a months supply. It comes in a tube like wormer and depending on the amount of the dose, one syringe should last a month or 28 days.

We didn't pull blood or do a spinal. Since he was a confiscation, we had no history so didn't know if possibly he had neurological trauma or history so we assumed EPM. His symptoms were falling on the circle and falling on his butt when he pulled back. He also walked like he couldn't see the ground. After the treatment, the symptoms disappeared.

I would recommend you call a University and find out the current protocol and if they could recommend a vet for you to help diagnose your horse. I am not sure that we know all that much more now about EPM then we did 5 years ago. I opted not to do a spinal and just try the treatment just because I can't stand to put animals through any pain that isn't all that necessary. I am not sure a spinal is all that necessary. If you  treat it with meds and nothing changes, you may be out the money but the spinal might not have told you all that much more. It will however, be very painful for your horse.

That is just my opinion. Good luck.

Lisa Salas, The Odd fArm