[RC] EPM - Mike & Laurie Hilyard

My son's pony has developed the staggering and uncertain foot placement I saw with my gelding 10 years ago, when he had EPM.  Can anyone tell me what is the treatment now for EPM?  Back then it was three months of crushed Bactrim twice a day, and since my gelding's ability to chew was affected, I elected to put him down because he couldn't eat and I couldn't watch him starve to death.  The pony is eating fine, but just fell when she attempted to take a step with Mitch on her back (he weighs in at 45 pounds, so she wasn't overloaded).  What is the prognosis?  I'll call my vet tomorrow, but would appreciate some input.

Thanks, Laurie in Clare, MI