[RC] EPM - L gin

My gelding got diagnoised (as much as you"can" diagnois it without a postpartum--FWIW) 2 years ago. I had been putting a base on my gelding and was getting his coggins for my first 50 when my vet saw him trip and trip and trip. I brushed it off as long feet... but he did a clinical exam and I watched him drop his hip and rotate it like a puppet on a string in a circle..classic , then he did some neuro tests and he "didn't know where his feet were" all the while acting very nonchalent and perky...
Anyway we treated. His blood test was weak positive, his post treatment spinal (which I wouldn't do again)-- was inconclusive....deterioated sample...but negative...
that said--- wE treated with Marquis with oil(it seems to help with absorbtion of the Marquis --- On advice of the EPM webgroup on Yahoo (very informative , good links and researh --though they can be a bit tough on people because it turns out about 1/3-1/2 of the horses that come on, actually have another problem----to be honest they seem to know more than many vets.
They have found out that you should (last I read) use 1.5 times the recommended dose (which I gave the full 1200 lb dose to my 900 lb arab) or do it for 2 months-- and you should give corn oil to help absorbsion in the feed. Horses don't mind the taste, you can even put it in the feed, if you are sure they will eat all the feed. I did, he would eat anything. I also supplimented with vit E, selenimu, c, etc. to help the immune system.
There are other drugs at about the same cost. Some seem to work better on individual horses than others. The sooner you treat, the less damage . Mine came on fast and we treated immediatly. Some seem to come on slower-- they think there may be different strains...
Stress can trigger it in some horses, especially trailering---weaken immune system---
It cost roughly 650-700$ for Marquis still. 30 days. For a pony if you double the dose, you should only need 30---depends. You can get your vet to write a persciption for it, as they often double the price of drugs to you. Smartpak, Hearland Vet. supply and others on the web have it for the above price.
I liked Marquis, as you don't have to withhold feed for hours like the old drugs. Some people have had to try more than one kind of treatment. Marquis also doesn't mess up their stomachs... The odd thing I noticed, was my gelding dropped almost daily while being treated--this horse is very modest and never drops. I had only seen him drop maybe 2x in years(try to clean a horse like that...) and when he stopped the treatment, he stopped dropping......
The last I read. 1/3- 1/2 recover completely, 1/3 have some damage, 1/3-1/4 don't recover or are put down.
But some don't actually have it , but have other things, like neck-spinal damage, EHV1, Lyme disease, West Nile, wobbler syndroome...
Best info is at the Yahoo group, EPM......Some of them were in the orginal drug trials with their horses and keep the info up .....
BTW , my gelding seems to have no descernable damage. But it took time. About 6 months to stop shortstriding ,that leg.etc.
Keep their stress down, it makes a big difference in recovery.......