Re: [RC] RC: Alfalfa Pellets - Lynne Glazer

Bette,

One man's milk is another man's poison. You're afraid of wine because it might have mold? Mold is something to be celebrated (definition from epicurious.com):

Botrytis cinerea
[boh-TRI-tihs sihn-EHR-ee-uh]
Also called noble rot, this beneficial mold develops on grapes under certain environmental conditions. However, under the wrong circumstances (such as unripe grapes), gray rot develops and spoils the grapes. When carefully cultivated, botrytis causes the grape to shrivel, concentrating and intensifying both sugar and flavor. In addition, the acid levels remain high, which prevents the resulting wines from being cloyingly sweet. Most winemakers are exhilarated when noble rot descends on their grapes because it gives them fruit from which to make very elegant, intensely flavored DESSERT WINES. In California, botrytised wines are usually referred to as LATE HARVEST or SELECT LATE HARVEST. In France, where noble rot is called pourriture noble, the best-known beneficiaries are the famous wines of SAUTERNES. Noble rot is called Edelfäule in Germany, where winemakers are experts at producing a large variety of elegant wines such as TROCKENBEERENAUSLESE and BEERENAUSLESE. The renowned Hungarian TOKAY Aszú is also a popular botrytis-infected wine. In Italy, botrytis cinerea is called muffa nobile. A wide range of grape varieties are subject to the positive effects of noble rot. These include CHENIN BLANC, FURMINT, GEWÜRZTRAMINER, HÁRSLEVELÜ, OPTIMA, ORTEGA, RIESLING, SAUVIGNON BLANC, SCHEUREBE, and SÉMILLON.
---

to go back on topic, I have used Purina's feeds (Equine Senior and Complete Advantage, Equine Junior) since around 1993. The only quality thing I've ever encountered is the occasional bag of CA that is too moist, forming balls that have to be broken up. This is "annoying", certainly hasn't happened enough to keep me from continuing with their stuff--I wonder if it's the dry climate that makes it so suitable. My herd has never exceeded 3, but surely the timeframe is significant enough statistically. My adults get CA every day, though in low quantity.

I like hay cubes as treats, current favorite is Kruse's oat-alfalfa. In cold weather, I mix them with hot water to make chunky soup/slurry and feed once fully hydrated. My gang thinks they've died and gone to heaven. Q literally drools when fed them in hand, something about this combo. Of course he's weird, likes orange peels but not orange fruit, etc.

Lynne
and the great greys
and no financial interest in Purina LLC except a desire to see some of my photos on their feed bags!