[RC] first 100 - maybe - Marlene Moss

Hello,

After having so much fun at the Grand Canyon and completing the 3 of 5 days that we attempted, I got thinking that it really might be reasonable for us to think about doing a 100.  Initially I was thinking for next year, but then I got thinking that maybe the horses are ready for one now.  Does that seem reasonable, that doing a 50 every other day, with the horses willing and still pulling at the end of the third day, that they could now do a 100?  We ranged 7-8 mph at GC, really only slowing on rocky roads and they had no issues at all during the rides.

So I am thinking that we should take advantage of their current conditioning and since ride season is over in the Mountain region, am looking at Randy Eiland’s Paso del Norte.  It will depend upon some things falling into place, and the weather cooperating, but it’s not a terrible drive (9-10 hours).

I would appreciate some advice – does it seem like we’re pushing too far here?  We only did a couple other 50’s this season.  We will only have one conditioning day between GC and Paso del Norte (probably try a flat, somewhat fast 25 miles around 8mph).  Is this a good first 100?  I talked to Randy and he said not having crew wouldn’t be terribly difficult here (at least we have 2 of us, one to hold horses, one to fetch stuff!)

At first I was only joking about doing this, but my husband took me seriously and so we are trying to plan as if it can actually happen and hope to give Randy enough advance warning about us coming!  Any advice to add to our last minute plan would be very much appreciated.  I’ve been soaking up so much discussion about doing 100’s recently that I feel like I am actually prepared – and that has me worried that I’ve really not been thinking clearly!  But it seems that other than having the horses ready, the biggest part of the plan will be preparing crew bags properly and then just riding each loop as it comes – and carrying a flashlight since there will be no moonlight.

So please let me know if I sound like I’m completely in left field or if this seems like a reasonable plan!  And I’d love to chat with someone who’s done this ride and would be doing it this year!

Thanks,

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com (saddle fit for the horse in motion)

Saddle fitting info and special fees at the Kenlyn Clinic and Endurance Ride in CO!

www.mossrockranch.com (sale horses and more)

719-351-5037 (cell)

719-748-9073 (home)