Re: [RC] [RC] newbie question re time limits in endurance v. ctr - Chris Paus

Marta, the difference in when you get your horse's pulse taken has a lot to do with the way "holds" are set up. In CTR, you have a set hold time, say 30 minutes. It starts when you come into the timers. You present your horse in 10 minutes for the pulse check as you know. When the 30 minutes is done, you ride again, assuming your horse met the pulse criteria. The hold time generally is added to the overall ride time. If you are doing 30 miles at a 5 mph pace, you'd have an ideal time to finish of 6 hours and 30 minutes with a few minutes of window on either side. Generally you want the 10 minutes because the lower your horse's HR is the better score you'll get on the score sheet if the CTR organization uses pulses in scoring.

With endurance, there is a set amount of time to finish a ride and your hold time is deducted from the overall ride time. In addition, your hold time doesn't start until your horse meets critiera, say 64 bpm. Once the pulse taker calls out that your horse is "down" or meets criteria, the in timers will give you your "out" time, meaning when you can leave again. If you have a 30 minute hold and it takes 5 minutes to get your horse's pulse to criteria, then you'll spend 35 minutes in camp before you can leave again. It's why most of us come into camp slowly, or even lead the horse in, so that the pulse is down when you arrive and you can go immediately to the rest of the vet check and rest time.

The longer you diddle around in camp in endurance, the less actual ride time you will have to get your completion.

I have come into vet checks behind other riders but went ahead of them into the hold because my horse pulsed down quicker.

In either sport, you generally are allowed to take more time at the hold if you want to, but not less time.

chris

Marta Kozlowska <martank@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

wait, explain that pulsing down difference again. when i come into ctr vet check, i have to present my mare for P&R within 10 minutes. but is there a time limit as to when how long i have before i present her to the vet? (at our first ride we were in a looong line for a looong time and getting cut off by the not-so-polite, so i didn't actually get to decide when she would be checked, i was just glad when it finally happened;)).
 so what happens in endurance? i go into the vet check and how long do i have to present her for the pulse down? and then how long can i linger around before i present her to the vet? and then is there a deadline by when i have to leave the vet check area?
i'm sorry these questions are so basic.
marta