[RC] Alfalfa Pellets - Jonni

Beccy posted: >>>> I had no idea pellets were made from other hays. I would certainly feed pellets if that is all that was available. I just want my  boys munching as much as possible.<<<

Depending on where you live, and the mills that are near you, they make not only the Bermuda / alfalfa blend I mentioned in an earlier post, but one mill made "oat hay" pellets. Some alfalfa pellets have grains added too. Not "just" hay. And, pellet size varies from the pinky finger diameter, to small pellets like some of the senior feeds are made. Just ask your feed store what might be available.

Many of the boarding stables in the Los Angeles area used to feed just pellets or cubes, as that was cost effective, no waste etc. Some did a mix of that with hay. Also, open a bag of pellets and sniff. Just like any feed, you can smell if it is fresh.

A couple other things.... horses can get choke on any feed. Hay, pellets, and even a couple rare cases of them doing it on wet beet pulp mashes!

And dead animals, which can cause botulism can be in baled hay, or processed feed. Not a huge number of cases that I seem to hear of with either, but can happen with both. If you fear "dead animals" in your pellets, then I'd guess you don't feed any processed feed, grain, or even beet pulp! <wink>