[RC] good mare day but dilemma - Don Huston

Hi Chris,

You wrote: "So, my dilemma is this. Do I get her teeth done on Tuesday.  Would the sedative be nondetectable by Saturday? do I ride her in the bitted bridle on the 22nd at the ride? Do I try to get her used to a hackamore between now and the 22nd for a little brakes. do I use the bitless and just hope for the best? Or do I not use Ali at all and take Star, my veteran campaigner instead?"

My personal rule is "do nothing different to the horse for 2 weeks before a ride" including vaccinations, worming, vet work, etc. after causing one of my horses to tieup after a flu shot. I also would opt for lots of brakes until you have ridden a few 25's. I have ridden 2 runaways. Both times on my experienced horses when I tried bitless at the start. After lunch one time my buddy was riding bitless in the lead and came face to face with a cow. His horse wheeled and charged back past me with him yelling "nooo biiit" as he disappeared down the trail. I chased the cow off and my buddy came back in about 10 minutes. We still laugh about that one.  Don