Re: [RC] good mare day but dilemma - abigail Madden

Get her teeth done on Tuesday and leave her home for the ride.  Take your other horse instead.  Why??  First because of the sedative and the drug testing, etc, etc.  You don't want to gamble with that game.  Second, her mouth could be sore and/or have little nicks in it from the dental (possible infection).  She may be unhappy about that and may just pick at her food rather than eat and drink heartily at the ride.  Remember, we want those gut sounds goin' like crazy.  If you don't get her teeth done, she won't be sore, but she could be during the ride if she pulls/plays with the bit and there are a bunch of other horses around for her to worry about.  And once again, you don't want a pony with a sore mouth (or anything).  Better to take the veteran horse, have a good time, and not have to worry about those other things.  : )

So, my opinion would be to leave her home and get her in tip-top shape (meaning teeth done & healed) and take the other horse.

Good luck,

abigail
Chico, CA

Chris Paus <paus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So, my dilemma is this. Do I get her teeth done on Tuesday.  Would the sedative be nondetectable by Saturday? do I ride her in the bitted bridle on the 22nd at the ride? Do I try to get her used to a hackamore between now and the 22nd for a little brakes. do I use the bitless and just hope for the best? Or do I not use Ali at all and take Star, my veteran campaigner instead?

chris