[RC] Flatbed trucks and Weigh Stations - Dyane Smith

It turns out that in California, if you take the pickup bed off your truck (because they are making the 4x4's skyscrapers, now) and replace it with a flatbed to get the bed under the gooseneck of a trailer built before 2000, you have to register as a Commercial vehicle, get a Class A license, keep a log and stop at all weigh stations.

Anyone else having these problems?  Are you stopping?  Did you get a new license?  How did all this work out for you?

Makes me insane.  The GVWR of the truck is 11,400; the trailer 12,000.  But, the CHP assures me that even a little Ranger would no longer be classified as a pickup if you removed the bed.

Anyway, I'd appreciate ideas.

TIA

Dyane