Re: [RC] Flatbed trucks and Weigh Stations - Barbara McCrary

When did this take place?  Lud has a Dodge Ram 2500 that he had an aluminum flat bed put on it.  I never heard of the restrictions of which you speak and he has not had to get a different license, keep a log, nor stop at all weigh stations.  maybe this is something that has been required since he got his truck about 1-1/2 years ago?  I think he bought it without a bed to begin with, knowing that he would have a flatbed made for it.

Barbara

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 4:39 PM
Subject: [RC] Flatbed trucks and Weigh Stations

It turns out that in California, if you take the pickup bed off your truck (because they are making the 4x4's skyscrapers, now) and replace it with a flatbed to get the bed under the gooseneck of a trailer built before 2000, you have to register as a Commercial vehicle, get a Class A license, keep a log and stop at all weigh stations.

Anyone else having these problems?  Are you stopping?  Did you get a new license?  How did all this work out for you?

Makes me insane.  The GVWR of the truck is 11,400; the trailer 12,000.  But, the CHP assures me that even a little Ranger would no longer be classified as a pickup if you removed the bed.

Anyway, I'd appreciate ideas.

TIA

Dyane