Re: [RC] CRI question - jen

Bruce, could you explain when the CRI is done.  During a vet check?  Does this happen at all rides? I'm a newbie and need some clarification, thanks...
Jen M.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 12:04 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] CRI question

 Heidi--
  I'd like to take a crack at this question, as I have done some investigation into what the CRI shows us and what it tells us about the condition of the horse. I will disclaim by saying I have never discussed this personally with Dr. Ridgeway, nor am I a vet. I hope my attempts at understanding the CRI will lead to some discussion here, maybe by Susan G. or other vets.
   There are a couple of interesting things to note about the heart. First, it is made of what is called cardiac muscle, which is different than the skeletal muscle that moves our joints, or the smooth muscle that lines our intestines and keep things moving along. As such, cardiac muscle has a greater metabolic capacity than skeletal muscle, and can keep contracting all day long basically without fatigue, unless driven to higher levels of output through exercise or other stressors. In this case the heart rate is actually driven upward with fatigue, as it becomes more excitable and may pump more frequently, but more weakly.
  Secondly, when the heart contracts to pump blood, the first organ in the body to receive that blood (and the oxygen, electrolytes and nutrients it contains) is the heart itself through the coronary blood vessels.
  Let's take an example of what (I think) happens in an exercised but rested and well-recovered horse at an endurance ride. The horse's resting pulse is taken and determined to be 48, let's say. Then he is trotted out 125 feet and back 125 feet, and after a minute passes, his pulse is taken again. If the pulse is at or below the initial rate before trotting out, it can serve as an indicator that the horse is meeting or exceeding the oxygen and electrolyte demands to the heart itself. Since the heart will likely fatigue after skeletal muscle, the horse may be showing the effects of exercise, but able to continue. If the post-trot heart rate goes up, it may indicate that the heart itself is beginning to fatigue and is unable to briskly recover from further exercise, and perhaps the horse should be pulled from competition. Like any diagnostic tool, the vet can take these findings into account in the overall assessment of the horse in deciding if the horse is fit to continue.
  Presuming that I am even partially right in my explanation, it serves as a tribute to Dr. Ridgeway's brilliance in figuring out such a meaningful physiological mechanism that can reveal so effectively the momentary cardivascular well-being of an exercised horse, and in the crude field location of an endurance ride, to boot. All with a simple stethoscope and a stopwatch. Go figure.
    Bruce Weary

heidi larson wrote:

Ok, someone tried explaining this to me once, but I'm not sure exactly how this works with the numbers.  I remember at Renegade Ash had a great CRI, but can't remember the numbers, this time at the Dunes, he was 40/40.  Shouldn't the second number be lower and if it's not, does that indicate something?

thanks - heidi and Ash of the 3' mane