RE: [RC] Pull Codes - heidi

1. I have no problem with the pull codes and believe they could be of some
benefit in the future if records were kept in a data base.  AERC needs to
find a
way to insure that the data collected is correct and not skewed.

The best way to ensure that the data are not skewed is to educate RMs
and vets.  It never ceases to amaze me how many RMs and vets do not
understand the pull codes.

2. Why is RO data skewed???  I believe that one possible reason is the pull
codes are public record and published in Endurance News.  I believe that some
riders do not want a L or M on their horse's public record. I for the life of
me can't figure out why there is such opposition to listing the individual
pulls as DNF in EN.  If the membership wants to know how many L, M and RO
pulls
there are at a particular ride that could be listed as a general stat.  For
example 50 horses starting - 40 finishing 10 pulls (3 M 6 L 1 RO).  Can
someone
please give me a reasonable explanation why it is AERC's job to list the
reason
an individual rider is pulled in EN??  Why wouldn't a general statistic as
listed above be enough for the membership?  If this information was not
listed as
part of the ride results there would be absolutely no reason why an
individual would try to get an RO.  Once we eliminate the reason the
individual riders
are skewing numbers it will be much easier to educate the RMs and Vets on
using the correct pull codes.

Individual riders are not the ones who turn in the pull codes, so they
cannot skew them, no matter what their "comfort level" is.  If the RM
and vets understand the system, then a rider cannot "try" to get a
particular pull code--it simply "is."

I've heard on e-lists about how riders try to do this, and about how
they don't want pull codes next to their names or next to their horses'
names, but I've never seen it play out in real life.  I've never had a
rider argue about a pull code.  Maybe I am dense, and there is some big
conspiracy going on out there where pull codes are bought and sold on
the black market, but how on earth can a rider "punish" a horse for a
pull code?  If the vet pulls the horse, the horse is pulled.  Period.
And the vet determines the pull code.  Likewise, if a rider comes up
and says, "I'm pulling," the vet is SUPPOSED to examine the horse to
determine whether the horse is truly fit to continue, or not.  Is the
rider going out behind the trailer and whipping the horse because he
went lame?  I don't think so.  The pull code system is a no-brainer,
IMO.

As for public listing of the pulls, I've heard some blather, but I've
yet to hear a convincing reason why NOT to list them.  They are a part
of the "public" record that can be looked up under horse history and
rider history, and should be.  So why the rub about them in EN?  Sorry,
I don't get it.  And I've yet to see a horse "punished" over a pull
code....

Heidi (so far this year, two genuine RO pulls and a genuine L pull, and
not afraid to admit it)