Re: [RC] [RC] Horsepool for the Alabama Yellowhammer ride? - REVISED - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Ok, I think that somewhere we got off track.  Angie is right here,  I never said that she was self motivated about riding the horse, going to rides, making the good grades so she can get out of school.  She does work hard to plan, condition, get the grades, etc.  I just wish that she would be a little more of a worker during the ride.  She does have to trot the horse and take it thru the vet line (except for the Biltmore 100).  She does sponge the horse coming into the vet checks.  But, after the horses are down and thru the check, that is where I have the problem of she wants to go pee, go eat.  Well, so do I....but somebody has to see that they have beet pulp, hay, water and are comfortable.  Yes, I agree, someone said to tell her that if she doesn't work, tell her she will stay home,  and I have used that one and it did work.  And yes, Angie, its My way or now way....so, I need to learn to give her more space.

Jody

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:

God knows I am too easy on my kid. The only way they
> will learn> to be self motivated is to wait until they really want it
for
> themselves. If> your daughter won¹t do what she can, leave her at home.
If she wants
> to> come, she has to do for herself.

Well, if I've EVER seen a kid who was motivated to do a ride it's Joni.
Remember, this is the kid who literally did a 100 miler the day after
being up the entire night with a stomach virus. The kid was death eating
soda crackers at the FIRST check, but never quit, or asked to quit. She
was given the option of quitting and refused. Didn't show the best
*judgement* but definately motivated. :-)

Jody, I'll bet your problem is like mine. I have MY way of doing things.
We *say* we want somebody else to help and the second they do we take it
from them and say, "no, do it like this...". I thought Josie was a
slacker at times, till she finally got this horse that's ALL hers, start
to finish. I've had no hand in his training. When I used to say, "No like
this" she walked off and let me do it myself. Now when I say it she says,
"No *I* do it like THIS", and *I* walk off. >g<

Angie