[RC] Saddle Weight (saddles with horns) - Jonni

Sandy, maybe instead of looking for a saddle with a horn to help you mount the horse, you could look at other styles to mount, that you did not have to grab the horn. Some of the western style endurance saddles have a "thinner" pommel that can be grabbed more easily, in place of a horn. Also, maybe some sort of a grab strap could be rigged to grab in place of the horn.

I ride my Bighorn with a Y type English breastcollar. I reach across with my left hand when I mount, and grab the breast collar at the ring that attaches the straps that go to the saddle. I can pull on that if needed to mount if my knee gets to me, rather than pulling with both hands on the saddle. Also, you can often teach the horse to park out when you mount, so they are a tad shorter.
 Just tossing out some suggestions, as I personally am not so keen on saddle horses and trail riding in general.