From: Jonni
Date: 09/19/05 20:44:14
To: Ridecamp
Subject: [RC] Saddle Weight (saddles with horns)

Sandy, maybe instead of looking for a saddle with a horn to help you mount
the horse, you could look at other styles to mount, that you did not have to
grab the horn. Some of the western style endurance saddles have a "thinner"
pommel that can be grabbed more easily, in place of a horn. Also, maybe some
sort of a grab strap could be rigged to grab in place of the horn.

I ride my Bighorn with a Y type English breastcollar. I reach across with my
left hand when I mount, and grab the breast collar at the ring that attaches
the straps that go to the saddle. I can pull on that if needed to mount if
my knee gets to me, rather than pulling with both hands on the saddle. Also,
you can often teach the horse to park out when you mount, so they are a tad
shorter.
Just tossing out some suggestions, as I personally am not so keen on saddle
horses and trail riding in general.

Jonni
www.pbase.com/photobyjonni