[RC] Riding with chronic back pain (considering steroid cortisone injection) - Lyn

I'm 42 years old and have had chronic low back pain for approx 8 years since a horse threw me and I twisted my lower spine. I still have pain to this day despite regular monthly chiropractic adjustments, therapeutic massage twice a month, heat packs when needed, stretching exercises and I take 500 mg Naprosyn and 750 mg Robaxin at night.

In Dec 2004 I had an MRI of the lumbar spine and the MRI report said there were no abnormalities. I never saw the actual MRI itself. The Xrays I had at that time showed osteoarthritis of the spine, which I was told is part of the normal aging process.

I was told by my chiropractor that I should not ride horses because it was not good for my spine. However, I chose to ignore the advice and continued riding even though I still have sciatic pain that starts in the lumbar area and extends down both legs to the top of my feet. For every hour I ride, I hurt for about a week. I've even tried not riding for a few months, but I still have pain everyday. So I stay as active as I can by keeping busy with chores, taking care of the horses and still occasionally ride etc.

In July 2005 I started having frequent burning and numbness in my feet. A new MRI of the lumbar spine showed Degenerative Disc disease in L3-L4 through L5-S1. There is also bulging discs in that area. The neurologist who ordered this MRI, said a spinal epidural cortisone steroid injection might help with the pain and reduce inflammation.

Because everything has to go through our HMO for approval, I now have an appointment on Oct 6, 2005 for pain management evaluation. They are the ones who have to assess whether or not a cortisone steroid injection would work for my condition. Then they will submit a request for that.

But I was told by the neurologist and my chiropractor, if I have the spinal cortisone injection (which I'm still considering) and the inflammation goes away, if I continue riding horses it could cause permanent damage to my spine because of the DDD.

I am not sure what to believe, the doctors who have warned me of the risks if I continue to ride because I have Degenerative Disc Disease. Or all the people here who’ve had chronic back pain, have done surgery or other types of treatments and say they’re able to ride again?? Is there anyone with severe lower back problems who still ride but also still suffer from debilitating pain the way I do?

Thank you for whatever information you can help me with, Lyn