[RC] mounting - Jonni

Don't grab the saddle or tack at all when mounting - grab the horse's
mane. Terry<<<<

And if they are mane challenged???? Mane does not work for all of them. My
hubby makes getting on the horse look so easy. Never pulls the horse over,
never comes down hard in the saddle, never brushes his leg over their rump
as he swings it over. He has the ability to reach over with his right hand,
and grab either the stirrup leather if english, or the jockey on his
Ortho-Flex, and as he mounts, push DOWN on it, to keep the pressure on the
saddle even, as to what most of us do, by pulling the saddle slightly
towards us. His left hand is just places across the withers, reins in hand.
Not all of us can do this.  What you don't want to do, unless you are so
tiny, that the saddle wouldn't shift towards you no matter what, is grab the
front of the saddle with the left hand, and the back of the saddle with the
right. That usually ends up with the saddle shifting, or even rolling
towards you.

When I grab the breast collar with my left hand, across on the right side of
the horse and use it to help me get on, the pressure is applied to the
breast collar, not the saddle. I have found that now I have no saddle roll,
where I used to have problems with that.

I have also taken the time to teach my horse to STAND when I get on, and NOT
move until I say it is ok. Much easier to get on one that is not moving
around! LOL

Jonni