Re: [RC] [RC] Epics - Dreamweaver

At 01:11 AM 9/14/2005, Sherman wrote:
Do you only wrap if they are rubbing?

I have been wrapping so that I wouldn't have any rubbing. I do it as a preventative. If somebody is still having rubbing while wrapping they may need to do another two or three times around that area. I tried some new gaiters at Bryce and think they will be an improvement. I still wrapped though, don't want to take any chances on a 5 day ride. I try to solve most problems by avoiding them to start with ;).

If the boot is large and turns at all, then that would make it a lot easier for the horse to pull it off and rip the gaiter. If it is always the same boot that is coming off, try adding a few layers of duct tape to the back of the gaiter where the tearing is occurring to protect it. In the case of it always being the same boot, then it's probable that some adjustments can be made to the horses way of going. That is something that'll take a lot more effort on the part of the rider, either to keep the horse in a better frame or at a certain speed while riding, and also as far as management goes -- how the horses feet are trimmed--perhaps some mods can be made there to help.

I have observed that when my horses are hard on their easyboots, they are hard on themselves, or sometimes it's the trail that is hard on them (the boots and the horse). It's all stuff to think about, and consider. Each horse is different, but still good to know how things work for one just for ideas and options when trying to figure out what is best for another horse.

Karen