[RC] Pastures and Goats - kinda long - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Anita Messenger  libertymtn@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Our family has been using/breeding goats since 1980 - at one time we had all
five registered breeds, and were running upwards of 200 head. We had milking
machines/parlor, the whole works, and showed in a five state area. We are now
down to just a handful of milkers for the house, and ended up keeping the
Alpines. My husband does all the milking now - by hand. We sold the machines
last year. We have milk customers who buy the milk for making goat cheese (I
make cheese, too) - we get $6 a gallon for it, and they buy 5 to 8 gallons
every few days. It helps with the feed bill. :-) These girls are two gallon a
day milkers. They have the full run of our farm plus the woods all around us.
The horses and cattle are all used to them, and the goats are an integral part
of keeping our pastures clean, healthy and fertilized. We rarely have to
bushhog. They are also an integral part of our parasite control. Our's are
handled so they are not wild.

We have been breeding/showing/using Great Pyrenees dogs since 1980. One of our
girls even made the Hall of Fame (Liberty Mtn. Sweet Shasta HOF). We haven't
had any registered litters in almost 10 years now, though. The last couple of
years, one of our registered girls bred to our neighbor's big pussy cat Aussie.
The pups turned out looking like Pyrs! Big, too! We kept two males, and
neutered one. The other one bred our other registered Pyr, and the 3/4 pups we
got out of that are turning into TERRIFIC working dogs! They stay with the
goats, and are so smart and good tempered. They, too, look pretty much like
Pyrs except the one girl has ice blue eyes (from the Aussie side). We call her
Frankie (Frank Sinatra). Some of the other pups got the blue eyes, too.

We have found the Pyrs to be excellent for traveling with - they are good with
the horses, etc., but if you have some scary guy walk up to your vehicle while
you are gassing up (we've had that happen several times), they think twice
about bothering you once the dog makes it's presence known. A *good* Pyr is
hard to beat, but there are a lot of *trash* Pyrs out there now. You can find
some through Pyr rescues, too. We've done some rescuing in years past. We were
the first and only ones in our state for a long time. Pyrs have no trouble
keeping up with the horses on the trail, either. They are also excellent pack
dogs with the ability to carry more than half their body weight. If anyone
would like to know more about Pyrs, please email me privately.

We also have miniature dachshunds. We only have one right now - she's the
*house* dog, but loves to travel with us. In fact, her whole goal in life is to
be as close to my body as she can get no matter what I'm doing. LOL! This
particular female Doxie is very quiet and not as *outgoing* as a male we had.
Where he loved to hang out the car window and bark at other dogs, she prefers
not to be anywhere near the window unless we are not moving at all. She doesn't
like the wind in her face like he did. And she doesn't like drawing attention
to herself from other dogs. When we go trail riding, the Doxies have ALWAYS
kept up with us with no problem despite their short legs! So, if you shop
around, you will find that not all Doxies are alike. Neither are the Pyrs. A
*good* Pyr should be very even tempered, tolerating even small children poking
around on them. In fact, our's CRAVE attention from people even if it's a child
picking on them. LOL! We don't have any trouble with them with our barn cats
(the cats use them for nice hairy warm beds in the winter), poultry, goats,
horses, cattle, children, etc. They keep varmints and predators off of our
place, and if you are out riding and run into a bear or something, the Pyrs are
going to defend you (and very effectively, too) instead of running away.

Kathy, I hope you find some good goats to bring into your animal family - we
think they are GREAT! :-) We bred/showed reg. Suffolk sheep for a few years,
and later had the hair sheep (Katahdin), but we would take a goat over a sheep
ANY day. We've not had any sheep on the place for two years now, and we don't
miss them at all...except in the freezer. LOL!

Anita in Arkansas
http://libertymtnranch.faithweb.com
http://endurancemorab.8k.com

I am fairly convinced I will be getting a couple Boer Goats.
My only problem now is I can't find any!!! They seem to be
sold out any place I call or they want upwards of $300 each.
I don't need (nor want) registered show goats. Just good
trash collectors. :-)

There are alot more pros to goats then cons it seems. So any one who e-mailed
me who said they were in the same situation, there were more folks who
suggested goats then Tractors.

I am such an animal lover I'll use any excuse to get another one :-) Kathy R -