Re: [RC] [AERCMembersForum] LD Motion passed & LD *racing* - Laney Humphrey

MB, I think both your ideas deserve a lot of attention and discussion.
Laney

Merryben@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 9/8/2005 12:54:52 P.M. Central Standard Time, mkrumlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

    I've seen
    many horses with inexperanced riders fly through a 25 mile ride,
    pass the final vet check, and crash a few hours later once the
    edrenaline rush is over.  Some are taken home and have problems
    later.

My question is what can we do to prevent this?

*I wrote some members of the Horse Welfare Committee with an idea but did not get any answers back. My idea is this. This is NOT just for LD. This sport is one where an inexperienced nice person can go do a ride and kill his/her horse. This was brought home to me recently at a ride. The horse did not die but that is beside the point......he was very sick and could have died and just because the rider was totally clueless and had no idea what he/she was doing.*
** *I am of the opinion that _everyone,_ LD and longer distances should have to ride with a "sponsor" who has done rides for their first two rides. This would not be a perfect situation because I know some extremely experienced riders who are clueless. But.......I think it would help a lot. *
** *Another thing is the Australian's passport idea. I have no hope that it would every happen here but it is a good idea. I thought it was horribly cumbersome and too complicated but when June Peterson was here a few years ago from Australia, she showed me a couple of the passports she brought with her and explained how they work. It is a good idea and would probably save a lot of horses.......*
** *mb*