Re: [RC] Riding clueless, er, CREWLESS - Zephyr Arabians

--- Laura Hayes <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There is
always room for some aspirin or such.

You mean you don't carry that ON you?  I have a full
selection of pain and allergy pills in my saddlebag.
:)

I suppose I could have been more specific about what
feeds I take for the horse.  But, I figured if
someone's already doing 50s they know what they want
for their horse, they just need to know how to
transport it & deal with it w/o a crew. :)

I take beet pulp in gallon ziplock baggies -- I soak
the beet pulp in the baggies.  I also take a couple
cups of grain with electrolytes mixed in in another
small ziplock. I pour the grain mix into the beet pulp
at the check & my mare will eat right out of the
plastic bags, but sometimes I take a feed pan if I'm
feeling inspired.  I usually take carrots as well.

I don't syringe electrolytes anymore; I used to, but
find feeding it via grain is much easier & makes the
horse happier.  I've also ridden completely
electrolyte free, so if the horse won't eat the
e'lytes I wouldn't worry about it -- although I don't
recall that happening yet.  When I was syringing
e'lytes I'd have them all mixed up and in the syringes
ready to go.  I've seen folks messing around with
getting their little containers of e'lytes into their
syringes at the holds and that's way too much work out
on trail for me. :)

Most rides I've attended have hay at the checks.  If
they don't, I will take about half a flake of grass
hay & a bit of alfalfa.

I'm a minimalist.  I often have everything for a hold
in a single 5 gallon bucket with room to spare.

~Nicole

Zephyr Arabians http://www.zephyrarabians.com
KattWmn Web Design http://www.kattwmn.com