Re: [RC] Riding clueless, er, CREWLESS - TypeF \(Jackie Floyd\)

The two or three times I've had a crew since I started crewing for myself, I haven't know what to do. I'm SO used to doing it myself that I kept telling them, "I'll do it ..." to which my husband and Dad looked at me like, "ok, so WHY are we here???"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 12:02 PM
Subject: [RC] Riding clueless, er, CREWLESS

I have ridden crewless most of my career.  Kim's article is great, I am just posting to reaffirm that it is not hard to do, you just have to think logically about what you need and expect nothing from anyone, so when help happens, you are suitably grateful!

As another poster mentioned- if there are checks out of camp, you can send a bag with management, or your trailer neighbor, with everything you need.  I put grain in heavy duty quart or gallon baggies, including one of dry beet pulp.  I don't use much elytes, but a couple full syringes in baggies are good.  I include a shallow dish to eat out of, a small bucket for water, and some treats like carrots. I also include a piece of fleece- not a whole blanket.   Try to par down your personal food to what you are sure you will eat or drink (I take Boost, a Odwalla Super food bar, some gum, something salty like beef jerky and water to replenish what I carry- more stuff if it is a 100 miler).  There is always room for some aspirin or such. I use a LLBean boat tote with a zipper- pink and white with my name embroidered on it- makes it easy to see in a pile of navy and black vet check bags!

For checks in camp, I preset a water bucket, a sponge bucket and have a great Ames Garden cart (you can goggle that name) -like a kids wagon with slots for holding things and a handle that folds over it, making a place to sit.  I try to be close enough to the vet in and the water trough that I don't waste time walking to a fro. Make sure you sit down as long as you can during the check while your horse eats, and fill yourself.  Sometimes if I run out of time, I put the Odwalla bar in my vest pocket to eat on the trail.

I think sometimes people are intimidated by others who think they can not ride (especially 100s) without a cast of thousands (or at least a husband) to wait on them---it is not that hard, but being in the right mindset of self sufficiency and slow logical progression of the ride and the checks, really helps. And to keep from getting tired and discouraged, think of the ride half over, instead of half to go!!

Laura Hayes
Vine Cliff Farms
Brocton, NY
AERC# 2741