Re: [RC] Good dog - Lysane Cree

I got my Weimeraner free through a breed rescue organization, so you might give those a try as well. I know the benefits of SPCA-type organizations, but alot of people also get purebred dogs on impulse - even expensive ones - and then realize their lifestyle is not suited to the needs of the dog.
My weimaraner was in a tiny apartment in the city - well taken care of, but the need to walk her twice a day every day became too much for the family. She has been a cool dog to have. She is very smart and she will take advantage of a situation if she can. So discipline and rules are important.
But if she gets her regular exercise, she can be an excellent couch potato. She is a good guard dog, with a loud bark and she has been excellent as a house dog. On the downside, she is not good with cats - her hunting instincts take over when she sees a cat and I think she would seriously hurt or kill one if she caught it and it didn't claw her up first. She is an alpha female so she can also be territorial when other dogs come into our yard.
She tends to be aloof and distant with strangers so she usually does not like it when people or kids just walk up to her and start petting her. She politely tries to avoid them. But overall, she is a great dog, she loves to run and if you have lots of room for her to roam she will be in heaven. She has no problems with horses, its the small animals that trigger her need to chase. And she is smart enough to know the horse can kick her butt :)

Lysane