[RC] hard stools - Susith

My 16-year old gelding has developed hard stools and seems to strain while we're riding on the trail, then poops just a small amount at a time. This means he's stopping frequently to poop and I wonder if any of the vets can recommend a remedy for that - maybe psyllium would help? It would seem we could remedy it if it's a minor problem by some adjustment in diet, as you can for people.

Thanks,
Susan