Re: [RC] "conditioning" - Dabney Finch

That depends on where the horse is vis a vis next race--longest would be a month before (50 or 35 if conditioning), with mileage/time decreasing from there the closer it gets to ride day.
----- Original Message -----
From: Sherman
Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 6:22 PM
Subject: [RC] "conditioning"

So, how long is your one long ride per week?

Kathy

Dabney wrote:

Although I haven't had a lot of wins, I've had many top 5s and lots of BC awards over the years using this same system, so I do think you can be competitive if that fits your definition (as it does mine) of "competitive."

Plus I think horses are more likely to stay sound if we can condition them as little as possible while still enough so they're not taxed on race day.

(Of course that Fine Line is not easy to hit with a formula, since each horse holds their conditioning differently.)

and Susan wrote:

 When I used to do 50's once my horse got in condition to finish well in  the 50's, really didn't need to condition between 1- 50 mile ride per month if we didn't want to. A lot depends on your goals for your horse and how competitive you plan to be. They get burned out just like we do. Too much  of anything is bad.... even if it's good???

Anyway, once you're in condition and your heart rate drops quickly, one  long ride a week generally is enough for most of us schmucks who aren't trying  to finish first or second.

Remember this is supposed to be fun:)