[RC] NO Carriage Horses/Mules LONG - Raven

Off another list.....  >;[

Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 9:29 AM
Subject: [MulesOnly] Katrina horses and mules - Long

Hello all,

I've been lurking for years and this is my first message. We live
about 45 miles north of Baton Rouge and only lost power and phones for
about 5 days, with minor damage to our barn and house, but all our
dogs and 13 horses came out OK, unlike the poor souls to the east and
south who have no homes or jobs. For those of you interested in the
aftermath of Katrina, and how it affected the equines there, I have an
update.

All the animals at City Park Stables had been evacuated prior to the
storm hitting. The mules and horses at Mid-City Carriage, which
provided the carriage rides in NO are a different story. They were
housed in 3 barns, and all the horses and mules drowned in two of the
barns. Only 20 animals have survived so far in the third barn, but
are still stuck in their stalls. We've volunteered with the LSU vet
school to help in rescuing them, but no one is allowed in that area
yet. We've also volunteered stalls and two pastures for fostering,
but that may not be needed yet.

I'm copying a post today from the rescue organization about donations
to help these misplaced equines. There seems to be a lot of scams
popping up. Please feel free to crosspost.

Thanks,
Doug

Message: 1