[RC] Fwd: Peta and Horse Slaughter - Sheree H

I am also tired of the "Activists" who think that just because we are animal lovers that we like for them to speak for us and that we agree with them.
I have been involved with Horse Rescue the past few years.  It is amazing how long a horse will survive without proper food, water and basic care.  I have to say that a starving horse is one of the most sickening sights I've ever seen.  Obviously, these people that are so hell bent on stopping horse slaughter have never truly seen as many starving horses as I've seen. If Horse Slaughter is stopped, the number of neglected horses will sky rocket.
I personally would not send my family pet to slaughter because his is no longer useful, but there are many that do, if slaughter is not available, they will not be able to sell them to the "Killers" and they sure don't want to take care of them so the only option is to let them starve out in a pasture or believe it or not, I've assisted with rescues of horses that have been simply dumped off on a road because the owners don't want them.  This causes extreme danger to the public at large as well as the horse (has anyone seen what happens to a horse or car when it is involved in an accident).  Don't for a minute think that most people will humanely euthanize their horse when they are finished with them, because it doesn't happen!
Some aspects of Horse Slaughter has improved, i.e. transportation and holding pen requirements. So this, finally brings me to my bottom line-Is it more humane for a horse to starve to death (the natural way-yeah right!) over periods of months to possibly years or to endure a short period (days to weeks) of discomfort at the end of his life?  I personally, would choose the latter.
So, this also brings me to the other point.  Most people assume that all rescue organizations are associated with PETA or are PETA like, that is not true.  I cringe when people say, "Oh, you do horse rescue, so you are a PETA member".

SH