[RC] Conditioning- Both You and Your Horse !! - Vchorsegal

I really feel that if you ride every month, or even more frequently, you don't need to do a whole lot of pounding in between.  Our gang likes to do a 16 mile loop every week, if we are not competing.  It tales us about 3.5 to 4 hours, some hills, a couple of breaks included.  We probably hike/run on foot 3 to 4 miles of this.  We figure, the horses are fitter than us, and this helps us to stay strong for the rides !! We warm up at a walk for 3/4 of a mile ( on foot ) and hike the last mile on foot as a cool down.
Then we eat a bunch of cookies when we get home !  ( not really- just a couple ! )
If you are going for a long term relationship w/ your horse, it may work for you too !
Happy Trails !  - Heidi Helly