Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 12:17 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] The cost to riders

I know my husband and I are looking at gas costs.  We're looking at going to a 2-day ride in NW Texas at the end of the month, but only because a friend is going with us to split diesel costs.  We may have to skip going to some more distant rides...dunno.  Like you, the horses won't see a change in how they're cared for here, but they might see fewer road trips.

As far as AERC wanting to raise fees, yes they're looking at that.  So write your directors.  They're looking at raising the non-member fee for rides, membership dues, etc.  Rationale is that they're putting out so much money for trails grants and research that they need the money.  IMO, cut back on the outflow before hitting the members up for more money.  The trails grants are "nice to do" but if they require raising dues and hitting non-members harder who just want to try our sport to see if they like it before joining, then cut back on the grants.

Dawn in East Texas