[RC] The cost to riders - Tracey Smith

Great topic Angie!  Unfortunately even before the devastation and rising gas
prices fueled by hurricane Katrina I had begun to "re-think" my ride plans
for next year.

I compete in both CTR and endurance and this year, primarily due to a job
change and not having time off I had to pick and choose between the two
sports based on what rides were closest to me.  Next year since I will have
the vacation time available I had honestly hoped to get to some of the out
of Texas rides I'd really been wanting to do.

With costs like they are though, it looks as though I will be picking and
choosing based on distance and whether or not I have a "hauling buddy" next
year too.  I am going out of town to ride with some friends this weekend for
Labor Day and diesel fuel alone for the trip will cost me minimum $150!!!
And that is just going from Fort Worth Texas to Killeen...just a 4 hour
drive.

So, the costs will cause me to 1. go to either endurance or CTR's based on
which are closest to me and 2. try to have someone to share fuel costs with
whenever possible.  I do have one friend who I share hauling with quite
often as she does not have a towing vehicle so we take my truck, her trailer
and split costs on fuel.  I plan to work on meeting more folks at rides so
maybe I can develop one or two more "hauling buddies" as doubling up may be
the only way many of us can do this sport for a while.

I am making other concessions too...tightening my belt and taking my lunch
to work (much cheaper) and doing every little thing to save a penny so I can
continue to afford my horses and my sport.  Maybe we should start a new
thread...on how to "squeeze a dime" as I suspect many others are doing these
things too.

Tracey