Re: [RC] wide/narrow twist/ synergist saddle - Lynne Glazer

One word of warning about narrow-twist saddles--imagine how a narrow twist means that the saddle is more "peaked" in front, and In order to make a narrow twist saddle comfortable for the rider, many manufacturers recess the stirrup bars. On a conventional (non-flex- paneled) English saddle, the stirrup bar can cause a significant pressure point and sore the horse. I had a high-end all purpose saddle which had a lovely narrow twist for me, my horse seemed to like it, but I had it restuffed four times in a year to match her changing back which I *thought* was due to fitness. After a 9 hour 50, all seemed well but a couple of hours later, she had palm-sized edema at that place on both sides. That ended up as permanent damage, with pink skin to remind me of what I'd done to her, forever-- every time I bathe her I see it. I wish it was the only thing I'd ever done to damage her back, but it was the second--what horses endure in the process of educating their riders--hope I've paid her back by educating many riders about the nuances of saddle fit since. The development of tools to check fit like the Port Lewis Impression Pad, and the Equimeasure make it easier to fit the horse part, to make sure the horse hasn't had to compromise for the rider's comfort.

To add to Laney's fine post, it's not just the twist, but the waist and the seat. To get an idea of your own anatomy, you can try this-- find a straight chair, and turn it around, sit on it backwards. Slide your hand under your pubic bone and note the amount of clearance between your pelvic floor and the chair's seat. In my case I can easily slide my hand in there, and have lots of clearance. Riders who can't will usually also say that their crotches bang the pommels on conventional English saddles. The general answer is to look for a saddle with a really flat waist (that doesn't rise steeply to the pommel). Some manufacturers make saddles which specifically fit that kind of anatomy. Taking a saddle on trial and really riding it is the only way to know whether it works.

Our company has embarked on a mission to upgrade riders' knowledge about saddle fit in *general*, and makes a lecture available to organizations and vet schools. I'm gonna take up a little bandwidth and post the overview below.

Lynne
-----
Our much acclaimed Educational Saddle Fitting Seminar is now available to the public. Available nationwide, the seminar teaches the basic techniques that professional saddle fitters use to achieve maximum comfort for horse and rider. Derived from courses Carmi Weininger and Lisa Jordan have taught at vet schools and universities such as UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, Southern Illinois University, University of Guelph, the information presented is appropriate for equine enthusiasts of all levels, as well as for professionals from trainers to veterinarians.

The seminar is not promotional in any sense. It simply presents unbiased educational information that people need to ensure their horse’s comfort. As Carmi says, “This seminar fills a critical hole in many people’s knowledge base. We teach how to use tools, not opinion, to prove that saddles do or don’t fit. Poor saddle fit can trigger behavioral and performance problems that are often blamed on something else. By ensuring proper saddle fit, riders can improve the welfare of their horses and eliminate roadblocks in their training.”

If your club, organization, or event is interested in the seminar, let us know by emailing us at info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or by calling us at 1-888-771-4402.