From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Linda Cowles
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2005 9:36 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] horse/ mountain lion encounter

>>Since Eric didn't see this and reply yet....I believe Russian Ridge is up in the Midpenninsula Regional Parks system up near Skyline Dr. (top of the Coast Range) in the San Francisco Bay Area (also roughtly west of Palo Alto).  Many acres protected in great park land, rugged terrain, sparsely populated up there, so typical and suitable Mt. Lion territory.  For those of you who know the Swanton Ride, this would be an area ranging south-east of Pescadero Creek Park (Old Haul Rd.).
>>
>> In all my years growing up and riding in the penninsula hills, I caught a glimpse of a Mt. Lion just once...

I have a client in south west San Jose (2 miles up My Hamilton Road going towards Grant Ranch park) who regularly has mountain lions on her small 2 acre piece of land... very scary. The deer in the area are drawn to the houses by all of the vegetation, horse feed, water and shrubbery, so... the lions come in too.

She says that locals have complained, but nobody does anything.

Linda Cowles
Certified Hoof Care Provider
WWW.HealthyHoof.Com
HealthyHoof@xxxxxxxxxxx