Re: [RC] CTRs a thumbs down....I think - MJWEST02

I got to assist in my very first CTR (NATRAC)  ride this weekend.  I assisted the secretary to the vet judge.   I have been reading so much about these rides and have a couple friends that ride (one rides her 7 year old paint/arab and the other one rides her  34 year old arab)    I have listened to stories from them and from this group and wanted to view it from behind the scenes.    I learned so much and had a really good time.  There were people of all ages - 15 years to, well, probably over 60.

I assisted with the vet check in/out and the obstacles judging.   I got to learn what the judges are looking for technically - so I wouldn't be nervous when I finally (ever) get out and ride one.    I also learned what I needed to go home and practice - even the simple: trot your horse out, trot right, trot left and trot back to judge... (the horsemanship judge is "watching you").     I was even amazed at the stallions that showed up and had it not been for the yellow ribbon I would never had known (well..... you know what I mean)  We even had a young man enter his first ride on a 5 year old stallion (his first ride too)  - and other than not being too sure about the obstacles, his manners were very good.   A little vocal, but heck, he was pretty and he knew it!

I admire ALL those riders who endured the heat and humidity and always had a smile on their face - I was tired just with what I did, I can only imagine riding those trails for 2 days in a row.  But horse and riders were refreshed at check out Sunday -  I know this is group I want to be with.

Mary