[RC] CTRs a thumbs down....I think - Jonni

Wow - this hasn't been our experience. With very few exceptions,
endurance vets are actively looking for signs of trouble; in some cases
thinking they saw something that turned out to be nothing. Better that than
the alternative. Perhaps our vets out here are a more caring bunch...:)<<<

Well, I have yet to have an endurance vet pick up EVERY  leg, flex them,
check tendons,  tendon sheaths, feel for heat, and make notations of any
fill or swelling etc.. They do this at the start of the ride, and during the
ride and / or at the end making notations of any changes. It is those
changes that will tell me if something might be starting in the leg, even if
the horse is trotting out sound. They do an excellent job at what they are
there to do, but since they do not "score" these things, it is very time
consuming to do them.  Same with the back. More ill fitting saddles have
been discovered by CTR vets who might have found some slight heat, or maybe
a slight edema, but maybe no soreness. But again, since this is part of the
SCORE the horse receives, and the judging, they have to look for these
things.

Endurance vets who do a lot of rides, develop a very keen eye for way of
going. When they see something, they will usually do a closer look, but if
the horse looks sound on the trot out and back in the straight line, they
are good to go. Those slight uneven gaits that show up in the circles by CTR
vets are also scored. (which is why the circles!)

Shoot, even at Tevis, they did not pick up any legs to look closer!
Jonni