Re: [RC] CTRs a thumbs down....I think - Chris Paus

I've found at the rides I go to that vets are equally attentive. In CTR, the horse is scored on its soundness, so you will see points off for tiny amounts of swelling, nicks, trail dings, etc. Endurance vets don't  usually put their hands on the legs, but they are looking hard!

I took a horse that I'd been riding for months to his first LD ride and he didn't pass the vet check to even start the ride! Three endurance vets looked at him and all told me he was lame even though I didn't see it. Two said they thought he had symptoms of navicular syndrome.

Sure enough, that's what was wrong with him. It was veyr subtle at first, but six months later, even with corrective shoeing and vet care, the horse could hardly use his right front.

chris