Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 9:05 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Since we are on the subject of water

----- Original Message -----

Also found out during the trip that some of them don't hang hay in the trailer when they're traveling -- and it took us five hours to get to the campground!  Why?  Because it makes a mess in the trailer.

** Recently went camping at Pt. Reyes....you see all kinds of horses and containment systems.  Our group had a mix of horses in electric corrals, portable pipe corrals and two on a high line. The two on a high line had stops in the line so they could not get within kicking range; they had their water buckets and hay at opposite ends....

**I hauled my mare and my friends mare down (3 hour drive). First thing we do when we set up there is give water;my mare is a very good drinker.  The first night she drank half of huge rubbermaid tote of water, really drank well on the whole trip

**Horses across from us belonging to folks with extremely fancy LQ trailer and new truck were also on a highline.
They never had any buckets of water we could see.  I guess the owners walked them to the tiny stream morning and night.  They also went through the night with no hay....and of course, kicked up a ruckus.  In fact, only time we ever saw food in front of those horses was one morning (pan of grain and very small flake of hay).  The horses did look a normal weight, but I just can't fathom parking horses for long periods of time with no access to water!!! Mine always drink the most at night...
Karen