[RC] Since we are on the subject of water - Jonni

I think part of the problem Tracey might be having, as I was too, is that
the horses are either doing shorter training rides, or LD rides, and have
not got "really" thirsty. Tracey and I ride a lot in the same trail system
here in No. TX. It has plenty of ponds, streams most of the year, and water
troughs at wind mills. My horse was being offered water at every water we
came to on a training ride. Some is murky, some clear, some out of the well
fed troughs. The last water would be back where we parked, either at the
trailer, or from the trough. Hank would seem to hold out for "better" water.
Rarely drank on the trail, even in TX heat. So, I stopped offering water at
every opportunity. I would pass a lot of the ponds, and work him longer, and
THEN offer water. If he drank, great, if he didn't, we did not stick around
long. We started down the trail again. I found that offering water less
often, made him start drinking at almost every water he was offered.

Now, this is not LD bashing, but I want to add. I think that some horses who
do a lot of LD rides, do not learn to eat and drink on the trail as well, as
those horses who have spent all day out there. They are done in a relatively
short time, and back at their trailer, relaxing, and then eating and
drinking.  Taking the time to ride really slow, and spend the HOURS on the
trail will often teach some horses to take care of themselves better. It is
not just the distance ridden, but time spent doing so. It gives them a
better reason to eat and drink along the trail.

Those who have done some multi-day 50's, have seen the change in their
horses on how well they learn to take care of themselves. They learn that
they better drink out of what ever puddle they find, as they might not have
more for awhile.

Jonni