[RC] Since we are on the subject of water - Sherman

Truman wrote:

Why do my horses drink early and often while many other people have
problems with their horses drinking the first 20 or 30 miles. I think I
know - my horses didn't start out as endurance horses. They started out
as trail horses. They had a good year of just hacking around on the
trails. When we went camping it was to hack around. They learned to
drink in a relaxed laid back trail ride not the pressure of an endurance
ride. Not to say we weren't moving on and covering ground, but it was
still a trail ride.

I sure wish this were the case with my hubby's horse. He'd been an arena horse a couple years, then a team penner, then a trail horse for about 5 years before starting conditioning for endurance (2 years ago). He usually will not drink 'til about mile 18, however, this past week on a short 15 mile ride he started drinking at about 10 miles. We were climbing long steep hills, and the temp was near or over 100. Maybe he's finally seen the light!? He now also likes me to syringe water into his mouth, but I don't know how much of that he actually drinks.

Kathy
Grass Valley, CA

Kathy